When Alicia Keys sang about NYC, calling it the “concrete jungle where dreams are made of,” she failed to mention the need STD testing in New York City. No one dreams of catching an STD, but it’s a realistic scenario in NYC. Talking about STD and HIV testing in New York City takes away from the glamour of the Big Apple, but dealing with STDs and getting a routine check for STDs in New York City is just a part of living in this city.
Here’s a look at why STD testing in New York City is crucial:
- One in four New Yorkers (or 26%) has herpes, compared to the national rate at 19%.
- With the highest number of HIV cases among any city in the US—108,000 cases of HIV—HIV testing in New York City is a must.
- More than 75,000 people in NYC were diagnosed with chlamydia, gonorrhea or syphilis in 2009.
- Among all NYC neighborhoods, Greenwich Village has the highest gonorrhea rates among women. STD tests in New York are crucial for women; left untreated, chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause infertility.
- More than 85% of men in NYC diagnosed with syphilis report having sex with other men. Specifically, syphilis is spreading fastest in black and Hispanic men who have sex with men (MSM).
- 60% of men diagnosed with syphilis were also HIV-positive. When STD testing in New York City, MSM should test for syphilis and HIV at least annually.
Taking proper precautions, such as using condoms and getting regular STD testing in New York City, can help avoid contracting an STD. STD testing in New York is easy, affordable and painless. Check for STDs in New York City today!